You Are Reading

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Creative Industries - Johns task


Task 1

Identify 5 companies/ studios which you consider potentially synergetic to you personally. Write a short explanatory paragraph and reasons for each.


  • http://www.pokelondon.com I've known about this agency ever since I came across the work of 'Mysterious Al' http://www.mysteriousal.com, I was so inspired by what he'd done and who he'd worked for that I took it upon myself to see every one of his projects. He was dealing with big brands, brands such as; Volvo, Levi's, Orange, Carhartt & Adidas. Working for companies such as Adidas Originals would literally be a dream come true, I really love the diversity of their work and think my design direction could be synergised with their ethos. As soon as I'd seen his clientele, I knew I had to find the design agency! And so I did.
  • http://snask.com The quirkiness and cockiness of Snask really sum up todays generation of designers and their full front approach to designing makes them what they are! it's all these features that make Snask seem like such a great place to work. A-swell as their 10 point manifesto!
  • http://www.saatchi.com Looking more at the Corporate side of design, Saatchi & Saatchi really boast an extensive list of designers. I'd be lying if I said Money wasn't a motivator, and the fact that this agency works with 6 of the top 10, 50 global advertisers, really says something. Looking at their clients has made it evident that what they do isn't about creativity but about global appeal.
  • http://www.theoutsidecollective.com/#!home/mainPage I don't think there could be any design agency more suited to my current design direction, hosting & boasting; Illustration, Street-Art, Photography & Graphic Design! Everything from the aesthetics of the website to the look of their creative team really appeals to me, and thats before I've even mentioned their portfolio!
  • http://www.studio-output.com/category/projects A London based agency who I managed to come across through their unique project by Serial cut. The project was so in-depth and developed to such a high standard, that I couldn't not look more into it. There a perfect example of successful collaborative work.
  • http://www.studio-duoduo.com The whole layout and functionality of the website is instantly encapsulating, Really love their approach to design work, I wouldn't say it's unique but its definitely done to standards I aspire to
  • http://wearebuild.com

Task 2

Identify the top choice and WHY you feel that they may have synergy with your practice now, or in the near future.

The design agency 'Poke' based in London. The reason; Not only is their work; bold, colourful and most importantly suitable but it demonstrates different approaches to creativity and I could really see myself loving the environment, When I think about myself as a designer...there isn't a specific style I adhere to, with every brief, the similarities are completely vague. Despite this, they're all linked through a sense of personality, and it's this point that makes POKE stand out against other agencies. A subtle personality.

Task 3

Is your choice based on; Location/ Direction of Practice/ The Brand Philosophy/ Client base...

Everything.

Now that you have identified initially these studios you feel synergy with. Please list methods you could utilise to contact them.

Make sure every action causes a positive reaction, making sure every step I take towards my goals is creatively thought out e.g.
- Instead of just adding to their emails, think of an alternative method that promotes yourself more than others. (Personality)
- Think of ways your most likely to get through to them, flying pigeons, takeaway pizzas etc.
- Get noticed, wait around, come back, come back again, wait around some more.
- Phone up and try and arrange a meeting, anything that gives you the opportunity to present yourself as a designer.
- Take a more personal approach, write a quirky (but not arrogant!) letter, supplying them with a business card and your areas of speciality.
- I'm a designer, they're a designer...ask them what they think of my work. If anything this will at least provide a benchmark of practice for future designs.


*I haven't used this resource as of yet but it could become useful for future reference...

Identify 3 Strengths; Determination, Intelligence, Creative abilities

Identify 3 Weaknesses; Just because I know what I'm doing, doesn't mean others always will, I sometimes become too involved with a design and lose focus of its communication. Improving the efficiency of my time management. Getting the perfect balance between my personal life and educational aspirations.

Identify 3 Main goals; To build various relationships with people already in the creative industries. Promote myself. Network more.

Identify 3 Wishes; To work abroad at one of the headquarters of Adidas Originals. To become successful at what I love. To do something everyone else wished they would of done.

(Always think about;
  • WHO they are/who are you?
  • WHY you are contacting them and why they should listen?
  • WHAT do you want them to do next and what do you actually want?
  • WHY should they come back to you?)


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.