You Are Reading

Sunday 8 September 2013

OUGD 502 Evaluation


1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them: 

I'd definitely say that this module has been the most beneficial and enlightening, it has taught me many things about my own practice, and where I'm situating myself within the graphic design industry. With this in mind I've managed to co-ordinate and present myself in the industry through interviews and enquiries, this has helped me to respond with relevant questions.

I've developed my networking skills through social sites such as 'LinkedIn' and 'Behance' this has allowed my personal professional practice to start developing, getting my work out there has allowed me to join critique feedback groups etc. 

Working collaboratively during the 'Life's a Pitch' module really nailed in that we were in this for business, we all had to pull our weight. If one of us wasn't pulling our weight, action had to be taken. Looking at this from a business POV really showed us that it wasn't just all about designing but it was about co-operation, allocation, SWOT, etc. 

2. What approaches to methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process 

My train of thought has broadened when it comes to visualising how a brand can be permeated, for e.g. making key rings and liquid filled business cards that you tilted so the ink revealed the logo. Regarding studios, I undertook lots of research and enquired about further studio's, reviewing these design studios has allowed me to develop new and fresh ideas relating to my own practice. I have also found within this module that I can step away from the computer a lot and focus my attention on talking to professionals and visiting studios which inform me of experiences, doing the university work is important, but it's more important to solidify a job proposition after. After numerous contact with studios, I gained valuable insights in response to my questions, however most of them only accepted graduates! Despite this I've still managed to secure a position at an International firm called DAMMS, working within their marketing sector helping out on brochure's etc. Although this isn't what I want to do when I'm older, it provides me with a very good insight into the industry and a chance to build up contacts.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My ability to evaluate and reflect on my own professional practice and understanding of the industry has become a possessed strength during this module. Initially I was wary of putting anything online, thinking would my work look good enough? but I've learnt I'm never going to know, unless I move forward. Now that I've got my work online, I can start to begin thinking about improving my online portfolio. Furthermore, my self branding wasn't final and was acting as a stepping stone for my identity, despite this I still produced a strong identity that was successful for the time being. 

I can recognise that my strengths lie in branding and identity along with event organisation i.e. Exhibitions. I've capitalised on these through the developments of my concepts, and permeating conceptual thinking throughout each task I undertake. 

Despite everything that's been happening in my life recently, I recognised that the PPP module was a very important one that I couldn't afford to miss out on, I contacted studios, enquired about work placements/ visits, asked important questions and also created an initial self branding identity, potentially all of these that would benefit my enquiries during 3rd year. With this in mind, I think I'm on my way to discovering a studio I find synergy with.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future ?

Because of mitigating and unforeseen circumstances, I've not had the chance to complete this year as I would've liked to. Time constraints meant I couldn't push my identity to print, or code my website. I was also dissapointed at the fact that I couldn't actually go on a work placement due to being bed ridden, I managed to work around this and potentially secure an easter work placement.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

I would've created a portfolio to send off to studios as oppose to just creating an online portfolio this would'e given studio's to see my work with ease, especially busy studio's.

I would've gained more experience and personally benefitted more from working with different people than I did, during 'Life's a Pitch'. I felt it wasn't taken as seriously as it should've been and I would've enjoyed setting up something that could be carried on.

I wish I'd considered contacting studio's earlier because of the personal situation I was placed in at a later date. 

This module has taught me to consider target audiences in detail that considers what sector your design should be aimed at, personally I don't think I applied this knowledge as successfully as I could've (especially during life's a pitch).

Manage my time so that I'm regularly tackling parts of my personal professional practice and moving forward with my progress, I should start creating goals for every 2 weeks that I must complete successfully. By doing this I won't end up with too much too do with too little time.


Attendance - 4

Punctuality  - 5 

Motivation - 5

Commitment - 5

Quantity of work produced  - 4

Quality of work produced - 4

Contribution to the group -5

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Leeds College of Art. Graphic Design.
 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.